top of page


Villanueva de Jiloca

Villanueva de Jiloca



Its small urban area of Mudejar essence, and of curious formation, invites us to stroll through its streets, those that saw the birth of famous figures such as the famous doctor Arnaldo de Villanueva (1240-1311) or Fray Bartolomé Anento and  Danger (1646-1679). We will discover good examples of noble houses from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, highlighting that of the Abbot of Bernabé, with a large portal and coat of arms on its façade, or buildings such as the town hall, in a neo-Mudejar style fortified with bars and ashlar stones.

We will highlight the baroque parish church, in honor of San Gil Abad in the 18th century, it preserves interesting altarpieces and a small parish museum.


We will be able to approach the hermitage dedicated to the Virgen del Rosario, being interesting the late Gothic one that shows this building from the 16th century and the hermitage of San Bartolomé, from the 15th century. And, walking along the banks of the Jiloca until discovering a small peirón dedicated to San Gregorio on the old road to Valdehorna.


In the municipality of Villanueva de Jiloca there are two ancient sites of interest: Cerro Redondo and Pila de los Moros.


For sports lovers, it has an excellent park with a surface area of 4000 m² with suitable sports areas for the old and the young.  


Retablo de San Bartolomé

The board
  is preserved in the church  It measures 1.70 by 0.80 meters and responds in part to the description of Saint Bartholomew the Golden Legend.  Here he is represented dressed in a long blue tunic and a wide brocade cloak with a garnet lining; In his left hand he carries an open book and the strap with which he holds the demon at his feet; in his right hand he carries a kind of cane that ends in a knife blade. He has abundant curly black hair and a black beard. It is a slender figure that is cut out on a painted wooden background and red at the top. Gothic painting, although it may already be from the early 16th century.   House of the Abbot of Bernabé

It is a beautiful brick house, which we find on the street that has the same name, belonged, according to the coat of arms, to the noble family
  Abbot of Barnabas.  Built in the 16th century. It has three floors, the ground floor has two doors framed in semicircular arches also made of brick. The main floor has three balconies, and the attic has four windows and a simple wooden eaves.  Peiron San Gregorio

It is located on the old road to Valdehorna along the rambla.
  Looks like  an old transept, or pillar. All stone and mortar plaster with square step and two steps, missing base; trunk with vertical ribbed bands on each side; and a locket of 20 cm.

bottom of page