OUR EMPTY SPAIN
Town located between the lagoon that bears his name and the Sierra de Valdelacasa. The oldest vestiges of human occupation correspond to the Bronze Age, as well as the Celtiberian, Roman and medieval times.
Documentally, Gallocanta is cited in the Cantar del Mío Cid, in verses 951 "Then the Cid moved to the port of Aluca (n) t dent runs Mío Cid to Huesca and Mont Alván", and 1087 "Poblado ha mío Cid el puerto of Aluca (n) t ”.
In the municipality, the Baroque church of San Pedro (18th century) stands out, with interesting altarpieces from the 18th century. XVI. In one of its chapels the image of the Virgin of Good Agreement, Romanesque from the s. XIII, coming from the Hermitage that bears his name and located in front of the town, in a high point where a stone cross stands out. From there, the view over the Lagoon and its surroundings is privileged.
On the outskirts of Gallocanta there is another hermitage, that of the Virgen de la Soledad (18th century) and two peirones: that of “Santos Fabián and Sebastián” and that of “Santa Bárbara”.
The Gallocanta lagoon and its basin, due to its environmental values and its location on the migratory route of various species of birds, is within the Natura 2000 Network, and has several protection figures at the national level (Directed Natural Reserve) and international (SCI, ZEPA and Ramsar Convention).
Acered - Aldehuela de Liestos - Anento - Atea - Badules - Balconchán - Berrueco - Cerveruela - Cubel - Cuerlas (Las) - Daroca - Fombuena - Gallocanta - Herrera de los Navarros - Langa del Castillo - Lechón - Luesma - Mainar - Manchones - Murero - Nombrevilla - Orcajo - Retascón - Romanos - Santed - Torralba de los Frailes - Torralbilla - Used - Val de San Martín - Valdehorna - Villadoz - Villanueva de Jiloca - Villar de los Navarros - Villarreal de Huerva - Villarroya del Campo