top of page


Val de San Martín



The church of Santa María la Mayor or San Blas , was built on a 13th century temple and constitutes another of the examples of the survival of Mudejar techniques in late buildings. In the main altarpiece there is a Romanesque carving of the Virgin with the Child.

Marking its rural roads, it preserves several peirones: that of San Antón, on the way to the source, in the direction of Santed; that of San Blas, on the way to Daroca; that of San Roque, on the road to Valdehorna; and that of San Quílez, on the road between Balconchán and Used.


Precisely the hill of San Quílez or San Quirico , 1300m. It is known for the traditional pilgrimage that it hosts every year.


Val de San Martín has a reservoir located at the foot of a ravine.


We highlight its swamp and the mountain with remains of the depopulated San Miguel de Cebollada but above all, for those who are passionate about the mountain, we recommend the ascent to the Cerro de San Quilez or San Quirico (1300 meters).
Mycology is one of the great attractions of this municipality and its hiking trails.

Church of Santa Maria la Mayor or San Blas

It is a masonry building with corners of ashlars. Its tower, brick Renaissance. The interior has a single nave with three sections plus a polygonal apse with five panels. It is covered with simple ribbed vaults supported by small corbels; the arches
  are targeted.

Formerly covered with wood and
  A work from the 13th century, but it is possible that at the end of the 14th or 15th century it was covered with the current vault and at that time and later the side chapels and the sacristy were opened. At the end of the 16th century, the nave was raised and covered with ribbed vaults, adding a section to the feet; this work would be made in 1567.

Some of his altarpieces are:
Major altarpiece from the 16th century,
  of the Holy Christ, of the Virgin of the Rosary, of the Virgin of Pilar, of San Blas, of San Quirico.  

bottom of page